Earth Day is right around the corner, and we’re taking this opportunity to highlight some of the incredible work happening in Arizona to make our state — and our planet — a healthier and more sustainable place to call home.
So many leaders and community members across Arizona work every day to promote sustainability, equity, and environmentally-friendly efforts. Here are just a few examples of the inspiring work being done in communities around the state:
- Coffee Pot Farms works to provide naturally-grown produce to families across the Navajo Nation and Arizona. The farm promotes food sovereignty, sustainable growing practices, cultural vitality, and so much more. Click here to learn more about Coffee Pot Farms, and the woman behind the magic, Cherilyn Yazzie.
- Kathleen and Emily Yetman work every day to improve food systems, active transportation, and community design to build a healthier, thriving future for Arizonans. Kathleen is the Executive Director of the Prescott Farmers Market, and Emily is the Executive Director of Living Streets Alliance in Tucson. Click here to learn more about this dynamic duo, the work they do, and their vision for Arizona communities!
- TigerMountain Foundation is “planting the seeds of change,” in South Phoenix, one community garden at a time. Founder Darren Chapman works with groups of potentially at-risk youth, veterans, homeless populations and people who have previously been incarcerated. Those involved with the program learn about gardening and landscaping, as well as essential work and life skills. The members of TigerMountain Foundation take their locally grown produce to local farmers markets and sell it on a donation-only basis. Click here to learn more about this incredible effort!
- The Arizona Food Systems Network is a coalition of local, state and regional food systems advocates, practitioners and leaders who have a vested interest in collaborating to improve the food system for all Arizonans. Leaders from across the state convene to create and implement meaningful solutions to ensure a happier healthier, and more sustainable Arizona! Click here to learn more about the Arizona Food Systems Network.
- We have an amazing network of farmers markets, CSAs, and various other efforts that promote a thriving, equitable, and sustainable food system in communities across Arizona. The Double Up Food Bucks Arizona program helps SNAP users buy more locally-grown food, which is great for both the health of our communities as well as local farmers. Support for small-scale, local, sustainable agriculture is a win for the environment, and a win for Arizona. Check out this blog to learn more about one of the many Arizona farmers markets that is dedicated to being a champion for the environment.
The list go could on and on! We are inspired each and every day by the dedication, visions, and actions of the many Arizonans working to make our communities and planet more sustainable, resilient, and healthy. This Earth Day, we hope you’re inspired too! Check out the many organizations featured in this blog, as well as the various other efforts happening across Arizona to learn more about ways you can get involved.