Discussion Topic: Language and Communications
We chose language and communications for our first discussion because if we have learned anything, we've learned that language matters! Our goal is to recognize how bias manifests itself at Pinnacle Prevention and navigate our roles and actions to eliminate practices that invite/perpetuate bias.
Resource Shared: Sum of Us – A Progressive’s Style Guide
Here are some of the issue areas we discovered in our discussion:
Sexual and Domestic Violence
LANGUAGE OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMPROVEMENT
- Stigma associated with different names
- SNAP/EBT is current use – Neighborhood/Community Considerations
- More work is needed on bodies of different size (large audience vs small discussions)
- We need to address sources of weight/body language
Active Living/Built Environment – Walking, biking, transit
- How do we integrate/frame rolling? (see LSA reference for inclusivity)
Move away from universal reference to ‘Brown Communities’
Universally Agreed upon actions for pinnacle prevention
We agree to edit/cross-check each other’s work in alignment with guidance.
We agree that work to improve language will be ongoing.
We agree that discussions will rotate facilitation with a team member volunteering for next facilitation.
What are your thoughts? How can we improve our language?